St. George Street is the best known street in St. Augustine because it runs south from the city gate, the main entrance to the city on the northern boundary. The city streets were laid out by Spanish decree by King Phillip II in 1598. When the restoration began in the 1960's they concentrated on S...
Around the Plaza
This central plaza was laid out in 1598 by Spanish decree of King Phillip II of Spain, directing that all colonial towns should have a central plaza, with the principal streets leading from it. The street layout of the historic district has changed little since that time.
Henry M. Flagler was born into modest circumstances in rural Western New York in 1839. He rose in the business world through force of will, tireless work, and entrepreneurial skill. Flagler became one of the original partners with John D. Rockefeller in Standard Oil Corp. and was a multi-millionai...
To the Oldest House
The Gonzalez-Alvarez House, known to generations of tourists and townspeople as "The Oldest House," is one of the country's most-studied and best-documented old houses.
Castillo de San Marcos
The Castillo de San Marcos was built by the Spanish to protect St. Augustine from English expansion. Construction started in 1672, making it the oldest masonry fortification in the United States. It stands today as a symbol of Spain's early colonization of our country. This fortress, never defeate...