Fountain of Youth
- (904) 829-3168
Hours of OperationSun - Sat: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
The Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park is a 15-acre, waterfront historical attraction, where visitors can learn about the first Spanish settlers who came here in the 1600s and the Native Timucuans who were here to greet them. With a working archaeological dig on site, as well as several re-created Spanish and Timucuan buildings and dwellings, the park is bursting with history. But it's also just a beautiful spot to relax, enjoy the views over the water from the 600-foot Founders Riverwalk, sample the waters from the natural spring (Ponce de Leon's legendary Fountain of Youth?), and let the kids feed the roaming peacocks.
The Fountain of Youth offers a variety of shows and living history reenactments designed to entertain and educate visitors -- the Planetarium, the two-story Discovery Globe mapping the routes of the early explorers, the Timucuan Village, the reconstructed First Mission of Nombre de Dios.
Free parking is available, and the park is pet-friendly. The Fountain of Youth Archeological Park is the site of the first Spanish settlement in the new world. Founded by Spanish explorer Pedro Menendez de Aviles in 1565, it's the oldest continuous European settlement in North America. Long before the Spanish came to La Florida, the Timucuan Indian village of Seloy was established at this site for nearly 3,000 years. In 1513, Juan Ponce De Leon claimed Florida for the Spanish crown, though no other colonies were successful here until Menendez arrived in 1565.
The large grounds of the Fountain of Youth attraction make a great space for family gatherings, weddings or other special occasions. The beautiful waterfront location offers views of the bayfront and St. Augustine Inlet. No matter what your visit to the nation's oldest city includes, the historical Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park is a one-of-a-kind site.
Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park is located just north of the Mission Nombre de Dios, and just south of the Vilano Bridge.